- The color of the leaves must be carefully observed. The growth of yellow leaves is a clear signal that the plant might need more nitrogen for healthy growth. You can use a good fertilizer to provide nitrogen to the soil.
- Trellising is beneficial if you are interested in quick harvesting and want a fast and healthy fruit growth. Trellising is an open lattice structure designed and fixed to support growing vines as well provides a better air flow. A suitable design size would be 1 to 1.5 feet diameter.
- For a healthy growth, you need to ensure that the soil is slightly moist at all times. Nothing kills a cucumber plant more quickly than water deprivation. The plant requires 1 to 2 inches of water per week. This can be achieved by watering the plants deeply once or twice a week. However, for sandy soil, you might have to water more frequently to maintain the required water level.
- Cucumber plants are an easy target for beetles. These beetles and other insects will attack the plants and spread wilts. This is immensely dangerous for your plants. To prevent this, you need to cover your plants with row covers. That will keep the beetles away. However, once the flowers sprout you have to remove the row covers for pollination. More ways to protect your plants from pests is by keeping the area clean and using insecticides if need be. You must remember to throw away the dead plants instead of mixing them in the compost because that can be harmful.
- Maintain the right pH level is vital for your plant. Cucumber plant grows in weakly acidic to neutral soil hence the pH level of the soil should be maintained between 6.0 and 7.0.
- One key tip to remember when it comes to cucumber growth is that the more you pick, the longer will the plant produce. Don’t shy away from picking the fruit in fear of running out of supply.
- The best way to harvest cucumbers is by using a knife or shears. You must grasp the fruit and carefully cut the stem such that ¼ part of it is not separated from the fruit.
With these proven tips you are fully equipped to grow your very own unadulterated cucumber plantation and enjoy the benefits. All you need to do is keep an eye on your plants, give them what they need and wait for the fruit and yeah, of course, sow the seeds! Happy Planting!