Homestead Backyard

10 Plants We’d Better Stay Away From

  1. Water Hemlock (Cicuta spp.)

Water hemlock is considered one of the most poisonous plants in North America. It contains cicutoxin, which affects the nervous system and can cause violent convulsions, nausea, and death within a few hours of ingestion.

  1. Manchineel Tree (Hippomane mancinella)
Vinayaraj, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

The manchineel tree is native to the Caribbean and Florida, and it has earned the nickname “tree of death” for a good reason. All parts of the tree, including the sap and fruit, are highly toxic and can cause severe skin irritation, blisters, and internal organ damage if ingested.

  1. Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum)

Giant Hogweed may look impressive with its towering height and large white flowers, but it is a dangerous plant. Its sap contains chemicals that cause severe skin burns and blisters upon contact with sunlight, a condition known as phytophotodermatitis.

Be aware of the plants in your area, especially if you have children or pets. There are many poisonous plants that can cause serious health problems, so it is important to know what to look for. If you are unsure about a plant, it is always best to err on the side of caution and avoid it.

If you think you or someone you know may have been exposed to a poisonous plant, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. The sooner treatment is started, the better the chances of recovery.

  • Learn about the plants in your area.┬áThere are many resources available online and at your local library. You can also find plant identification guides at most garden centers.
  • Be aware of the plants that are poisonous to children and pets.┬áSome common poisonous plants include poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. These plants can cause skin rashes, blisters, and even respiratory problems.
  • Avoid contact with unknown plants.┬áIf you are unsure about a plant, do not touch it. Even if the plant does not look poisonous, it could still be harmful.
  • Wear long sleeves, long pants, and gloves when working in areas where there are poisonous plants.┬áThis will help to protect your skin from coming into contact with the plant’s sap or oils.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly after coming into contact with any plants, even if you think they are not poisonous.┬áThis will help to remove any sap or oils that may have gotten on your skin.
  • If you think you or someone you know has been exposed to a poisonous plant, seek medical attention immediately.┬áThe sooner treatment is started, the better the chances of recovery.
Scroll to Top